Thursday, October 1, 2009

Arte Moris (Art Lives!)




Right now we are underway from Dili East Timor to Ambon Indonesia. Just about 150 nm to go. The coolest thing happened in Dili over the past three days.

First take a second and check out www.artemoris.org just read the quick history about the group.

So about Arte Moris, I stumbled on this place while out taking pictures in East Timor. The vivid colors of the wall murals and graffiti stood out boldly in an other wise colorless roadside.

As I walked to the entrance I had an immediate strong sense that I was entering someplace very special. At first I thought it was just another broken down and abandoned building complex. Quickly I realized that this was an artists sanctuary. This place was a safe haven, a place of peace and harmony, a place for freedom of expression and an incubator for creativity and personal growth. Every place I looked was art and young Timorese kids working on their creations. This was the first place that I walked in Timor where every one seemed chilled, happy and with moving with a sence of purpose. The positive energy and vibe that was generating from the people and this place was very strong and I could feel it.

If you have never been to Timor, this place is the worlds newest democratic and free country. It did not become this with out a heavy social impact. It took years of struggle and violence and that is not over. Timor is a place that is in general grossly impoverished, barb wire and high prison like fences around every building and home, UN Police and western military on constant patrol, homeless children, kids working in a dry river bed from sun up to sun down sifting stones for building material and earning $12 a truck load..thats about 4 usd a week. The real victims in all of this have been the Timorese youth.

Amidst all of this is Arte Moris a colorful sparkling vibrant gem. Basically a free art live in community for refugee children. Simply amazing...

I was emotionally moved and motivated with in 5 minutes at this place. I wandered around, soaking up the vibe letting my heart lead me. I knew I had to find a way to connect. I knew that my brother Chris would love this place and that sister Ann and brother Matt would as well with their deep Art involvement and passion.

At the back of the compound I met the young Timorese director Iliwatu and Charline. They could see my enthusiasm immediately as I was having trouble getting clear understandable sentences out. I had 30 questions all coming out of my mouth simotaniusly and squeezed in that endless stream of questions I kept muttering WOW! This Place is Amazing....


We spent about an hour together and I had some ideas taking shape. In this hour I learned a great deal about the history, the people involved, the strong life changing impact that Arte Morsi was having on the kids that come through. I learned of an international exhibit they did in Australia. I learned the far reaching benefits (to all involved) of their international exposure. I shared with them Ann's recent hugely successful project "Beyond the Borders" http://www.beyondtheborder-art.com/ I shared with them Matt's collaborative projects with the Paint Night Group. www.mattforderer.com

I went home that night buzzing and could barely sleep. I had an idea shaping and that was not going to let me rest.

The next morning I put my "smart" duds on and walked confidently up to the American Embassy. I walked up and handed the emotionless embassy security my passport and I said.."I would like to see the US Ambassador for Timor!". With a little finesse about 10 minutes later I was sitting in a comfortable room with the US Ambassadors' Public Relations Director. I shared my initial vision of getting a group of Arte Moris Artists and their works to the United States for a cultural, educational experience and a art exhibition in San Diego. I was met with open minded, support. The US Embassy knew very well of the group and was a fan. The embassy was also keen to show the American Public a positive Timorese image. I suggested the biggest help they could provide would be handling all of the Visa paperwork and in the air transport to and from for the artists and their exhibit. On the spot he offered an initial green light of support and a general commitment to modest financial support. Ok so now I am really buzzing.

I shot out to the Arte Moris compound and shared the news with them. I shared with them the vision of the USA opportunity, which was really the sum of their "wish list" from my conversation with them. It was a shared vison and it was becoming a reality. Understandably, they where cautiously enthusiastic, yet fully on board in concept.

The next piece of the puzzle was to get Ann on board. I had sent her a link to the Arte Moris website the night before to prime her mind. When I talked with Ann about the opportunity and to get her input, she was already 10 steps ahead of me in the project planning process, spitting out bullet points of what "Beyond the Borders" and she could do to make the effort a reality. Amazing such automatic synergy on this effort with each person approached. To me, a concrete sign that this is VERY WORTHWHILE effort!

The next day sitting on the front porch of the Arte Moris compound. People where coming and going, puppies barking and playing, in the adjoing room - a cartoon art class is being led by visiting American Cartoonist, Mike Loew, Charline, Iliwatu and I sit huddled around a cheap Nokia Cell phone set to speaker phone talking to Ann at home in San Diego California and talk for almost an hour.

The outcome; true shape and shared vision of the cooperative effort between East Timor's Arte Moris Art School and USA Beyond the Borders Art Fair. On the call the vision gained life and momentum, and specific next steps agreed to, to make this a reality.

The target date to have the Arte Moris Timorese group and exhibition in San Diego USA is the beginning of September 2010

We hung up the call with Ann, the three of us pushed back in our ratty rattan seats, sat silently for a minute and then all just started laughing with excitement of what had been created and given life to in 24 hours from the time that we met and I randamly stumbled upon and wandered the Arte Moris Compound shooting photos. So cooooool.

Pretty cool!

No comments: