Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Sydney to Hobart Race 2007


It is Boxing Day in Sydney Australia. The day after Christmas celebrations. The day the infamous Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race starts.

It's only 1000 and the race, several hours before the 1300 scheduled race start time. Already there is a steady procession of boats heading for the spectator areas. This day for local Sydney folks seems to be steeped in as much tradition as is opening presents and spending time with family on Christmas morning.

One hour to go before the start. Thousands of spectator boats of every shape and size crowd the tight spectator lanes that fringe the first leg of the race. The fleet will start upwind and sprint for the Sydney Harbor Headlands and the entrance to the Tasman Sea. From hoist their spinnakers, hook in to the Australian Current (similar to the Gulf Stream off Florida) and point their bows toward Hobart Tasmania - which lies about 600 miles south.

It's just not the same being a spectator in a major sailing event like this....However I know very, very well the feeling that all of these guys have prior to the start. The feeling you get before starting a long distance race is a mix adrenaline, butterflies, the breakfast you had a few hours ago, and the anticipation for the unknown that lies ahead.

Today I temper my racing energy with aggressively defending my spot on the spectator line. I have staked out a spot sighting directly down the starting line.

It is a great start with one boat over early. He is bumming as it will be very difficult to turn around - crazy to be over early in a long distance race....

The race is off as is the spectator fleet following, the harbor is extreme kaos to say the least!

I have always dreamed of doing this race, I am so close I can taste it. Some day I'll be on the other side of the spectator line defending my spot on the real starting line of the Sydney to Hobart Race. I chalk today up as a scouting mission for the future...

Check out the photos on the left by clicking on the Sydney (or any other) Photo....

No comments: